Monday, July 11, 2011

Nutella Brownies for Two

I'm in the process of making a family cookbook, something with history that I can look at and see recipes from generations passed.  And naturally when you decide to make a family cookbook you decide it's a GREAT idea to go through all your recipes on the computer, in cookbooks and in folders so you can rewrite them all to put in a binder, that way you yourself have a "Master" Recipe Folder with everything your husband and precious Cubs love that you make.  Am I right?  I've been working on this cookbook for about 3 weeks now and yesterday I got this great great great idea that it would be fun to make said "Master" Recipe Folder.  Typing the recipes would have been a better idea, you say?  Well you are right, except my ancient printer won't work with my new laptop, so there :)

There I am on a Sunday morning, given the chance to sleep in while my adorable and awesome husband lets me sleep in while he prepares breakfast, and I'm sitting in bed with a new notebook, a bunch of cookbooks, the laptop and folders, writing out every recipe my family gave the thumbs up approval of.  It took me all day, but I managed to write out every recipe I could find with star rating.  By the time I went to bed, my eyes hurt, my back hurt from sitting slouched all day and my thumb was numb.  Yes, numb!  I couldn't feel my thumb at all when I went to bed.  It's now been 24 hours since then and I still have no feeling on the right side of my thumb.  How awful?  You know how your foot feels when it falls asleep and it's starting to "wake" back up?  Tingly feeling?  That's the constant feeling I've had all day.  Not fun! 

In my process of going over all my recipes, I found one I haven't made in awhile that definitely got quadruple star rating from.. well me!  It was Nutella Brownies, but oh have I got a recipe for you.  Nutella Brownies for Two.  It might be a really bad, bad thing you have this in your possession.  For one, then you will always have a small batch of brownies readily at your fingertips.  And second, it has Nutella in it.  Now do you see why this is very bad?  It's super easy to make and if you are alone, easy to eat by yourself, especially with only four brownies per batch.  Yes, another reason why it's dangerous! 


I realize the recipe makes four and I have only pictured three.  Naturally when they came out of the oven, I had to try one.  For testing of course ;)

I love the soft and moist inside of a brownie, but my favorite part of a batch of brownies are the side pieces where there is one side crunchy while the three others are soft.  Because of this, I made these in a muffin pan.  I think it was perfect because the portions were already made for you.  The only other thing I could think of to make these in was a mini loaf pan but in that case you would have to use 2 mini loaf pans to get the four brownies.  If you try these and can find anything better to make these in, please please let me know.

Now the recipe calls for 1/2 an egg.  Yes, I realize this is somewhat awkward to do, but it was truly the only thing I could think to do.  What I did was just beat an egg in a small bowl and then just poured half the egg into the mixture.  Again, if there is another way to do this, please let me know.  I'm completely open to suggestions.  But until then, I'll just make them my way :)

Nutella Brownies For Two
Makes 4 brownies, 2 for each person.. PERFECT in my opinion :)

2 Tbl salted butter
2 Tbl cocoa powder
1/4 C. sugar
2 Tbl nutella
1/8 C. or 1 oz melted chocolate, I used milk chocolate
1/2 egg
2 Tbl flour

Zap butter and cocoa powder in the microwave for 45 seconds.  Whisk until smooth.  Add sugar, nutella and melted chocolate; smooth.  Whisk in 1/2 a beaten egg.  Fold in flour. 

Grease 4 muffin cups and spoon batter evenly into prepared cups.  Bake at 350* for 15-17 minutes.  If inserting toothpick to check for doneness, toothpick should have moist crumbs on it.  Brownie center should not be runny.  Cool slightly, if you can.

Enjoy!


Happy Baking :) 

Of course, I wrote down the original recipe that yeilded 12 servings (or 9 depending on how you like to cut your brownies.. I like big brownies) and did not write down who the creator is.  If you know who he or she is, please let me know.  I'd love to give credit where credit is due!

No comments:

Post a Comment