Monday, July 11, 2011

Cracked Sugar Cookies

I'm always browsing sites looking for something new to make or another variation of something I already make.  It's, like, the thing I do when I'm bored.  Let me just set my background for you.  I'm the kind of person who enjoys reading cookbooks rather than adult books.  Literally, when I bought 4 new cookbooks this passed April, they sat at my bedside so I could read them while my husband was playing his video game before bed.  I read them straight for a couple weeks and just enjoyed looking at the pictures and tagging the pages I'd love to try.  I enjoy cooking.  Some days more than others.  And I have noticed it's definitely more enjoyable when my husband is home rather than deployed, when my cooking enthusiasm is at it's lowest. 

So I was browsing Allrecipes.com one day and came across another version of a sugar cookie recipe.  I immediately read some reviews and started baking them, because honestly who doesn't need another sugar cookie to add to their recipe collection.  The recipe is quick and easy.  It's a drop cookie so no need to chill and roll out, although I'm sure you could.  I would just chill for an hour and then roll on a lightly floured surface to 1/4" thickness before cutting out.  The cookie itself is on the smallish side but great straight from the oven.  I did notice once it had cooled and sat for a couple hours, it wasn't as chewy as it was when hot.  Kind of crunchy tasting.  But nonetheless still tasty.  If you are anything like me, here is another sugar cookie to add to your box.



Cracked Sugar Cookies
Makes 4 dozen.. I halved and it only made about 18

1 1/4 C. Sugar
1 C. Butter
3 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 C. Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar

Preheat oven to 350*.  Lightly grease cookie sheets.  Cream together butter and sugar.  Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.  Add flour, soda and cream of tartar.  Stir until just moist.  *This is where I thought I had ruined my dough.  It comes out very crumbly.  I noticed, however, in the next step it comes out fine.*  Roll dough into walnut size balls.  Don't flatten.  Place on greased cookie sheets 2" apart.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden and have slightly cracked tops.

Variation:  Roll dough balls in sugar before placing on cookie sheets.  This way was my favorite!!

Happy Baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment