Thursday, July 14, 2011

Can you guess what this is?

Can you guess what I made today using this



and this



Have you got it?  I'll give you a hint.  I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM! 

If you guessed cookie dough ice cream, you are so right.  I've had this crazy craving to make homemade ice cream but thought it too intimidating to make by hand since we don't own an ice cream maker.  Then I found this post by Amanda and I just couldn't resist.

I love recipes that I can remember in my head.  Those recipes that have only a few ingredients and don't require much work.  Kind of like spaghetti.  Three ingredients, noodles, hamburger (or turkey if that's what you like) and sauce (although in my 8 years of making it I have moved up to using 6 ingredients).  And 3 steps, boil noodles, brown meat, stir in sauce.  Easy!  This recipe is just like that!  Easy.  My 6 year old could do it by herself if she could hold the beater long enough to whip the cream to stiff peaks - we totally tried today but she gave up after a minute.  Held out longer than I thought.  Anyway three simple ingredients, and three simple steps.  You will be very thankful of me to have this little bit of knowledge in your head.  And ice cream will never be too far away :)

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Makes about 1 1/2 -2 quarts

2 C. (1 pint) Heavy Whipping Cream - make sure this is very cold
1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
1-2 Tablespoons Vanilla (depends on how strong you want it)

In one large bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form.  This took me about 7 minutes.  Now do you see why my 6 year old couldn't last?  Back to the directions.  In another large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and the vanilla.  Fold in the whipped cream.  Pour into a 2 quart container and freeze for 6 hours.



This is what it looks like just before going into the freezer.

*You can choose to add any mix ins you want once you fold in the whipped cream.  Amanda has some really delicious looking mix ins on her post found here.  We chose to add in cookie dough. And it's soooo yummy!!


Our version of a delicous, and not nutritious dessert!!

Happy Baking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment